I can't wait to give this a test run. I've eaten her potatoes au gratin before, and they are heavenly!
Kelly's Potatoes Au Gratin and Ham Recipe
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Container: 3 quart casserole
- 2 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 3 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and sliced thin (approximately 9 med. potatoes)
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 12 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
* Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease baking dish.
* Layer 1/3 sliced potatoes, 1/3 chopped ham, 1/3 onions in the pan. Repeat layers, ending with sliced potatoes on top.
* In a sauce pan over medium heat, warm milk (do not boil). In a separate sauce pan melt butter and slowly stir in flour. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add warmed milk to the butter and flour mixture and continue to cook for 4 to 5 minutes while continuing to stir until thickened.
* Remove from heat, stir in shredded cheese, mustard, paprika, and black pepper. (Return to low heat if cheese does not melt.) Then, pour cheese sauce over layered potatoes.
* Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until potatoes are soft and top layer is golden brown.
***** I did not follow the recipe to the t. I mixed all the potatoes, onions and ham in a separate bowl. I found the cheese mixture way too thick to pour so i added more milk (about an extra 1/2 cup). This definitely needs to cook for the full hour. *****