Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Some Fun Reading on Food

Here is a great New York Times opinion piece on eating whole foods, the USDA, and the USDA's new wacky eating guidelines that try to give the public good advice while also not stepping on the toes of the (junk) food industry. Talk about walking a ridiculous fine line! I have not yet read the new Dietary Guidelines; note to self: do so.

[Update] Here's more on the topic from the article's author.

And another fantastic opinion piece! I don't agree with every sentence of it, but overall there is a lot of good sense here.

Here is a book I need to read: the China Study. Although I have to say I start from a stance of skepticism when I see that the book promotes a one-size-fits-all diet of eating only plants. Though perhaps I am mistaken that he is proposing a one-size-fits-all diet.

Last night I sat down at my computer to write down tuna recipes that I want to test, and instead ended up getting sidetracked by this voluminous gem of a website. Nutritional information for fresh produce! grains! meats! I love it. At the grocery store, the only foods with nutritional info slapped on them are the processed-n-boxed things, which makes comparison with whole foods impossible on the fly.

I have to admit, I was relieved to discover there that Alton Brown is totally wrong about eggplant. There is a lot of awesome nutritious quality in eggplant. Why the hell did my food idol say otherwise? Harumf.

Oats have protein! And not an insignificant amount. This is unusual for a grain.

Also, beef contains about as much tryptophan as turkey. Chicken has even more. So we can quit blaming the effects of over-eating on turkey's tryptophan!

No comments:

Post a Comment